August 16, 2007

Third Trimester - 28 Weeks

Well, we started off the third trimester with a bang! We like to keep things exciting around here. To make a long story short, I am back on bed rest with an increased risk of preterm labor. I had a routine appointment today that turned into a trip to the hospital for a steroid shot and contraction monitoring. I wasn't having any contractions at the time, but I did have some two nights ago for 3 hours in the middle of the night. The steroid shot is given to mothers who have signs of preterm labor, and it helps develop the baby's lungs and other vital organs in the event that the baby should come prematurely.

I return to the hospital tomorrow for a second shot and further monitoring. Again, I'll spare all the details from those who would rather not hear all of those lovely OB/GYN terms, but email me if you'd like to know the nitty gritty.

Pray that this little one would stop making such a fuss and stay warm until 34 weeks (September 24). After that, I can resume normal activity to encourage the baby to come.

(This picture was taken when we got home from the hospital ordeal, so I do look pooped. I may not be dressed up and standing outside for a while. Let's hope there are a few more pictures by "the tree" before there's one of the baby in my arms!)

No comments: