February 14, 2010

Hudson Says

Hudson and I had some snuggle time tonight. It was one of those times where part of me wanted to just put him down quickly and tackle the tornado in the living room, the disaster in the kitchen and the mountain of laundry (oops! I did it again.) in our bedroom. Nick and Elijah dashed out the door after dinner to make it on time, while Hudson played in the tub and Emmaline needed to eat and go down for the night, so the table is still covered in plates and crumbs. The counters have dirty dishes and utensils all over them. Not to mention that the kitchen floor isn't white anymore.

But those kinds of moments one-on-one with my children are so rare and precious, so I seized it.
We got in his bed together. Hudson said, "Let's talk." I giggled.

I asked him what he wanted to do tomorrow. He said he wants to put up the Christmas tree. The one that only Mommy touches with the star on the top. The star that's sharp and pointy.

And that led into a conversation about how only Daddies touch the fireplace, and only Emmalines touch their playmat, and only Mommies touch the Christmas tree.

Then he wants to play on his digger and scoop up blocks. Then he wants to play with his toys. Then watch Truck Tunes.

I asked him what he wanted for breakfast, and he wants cupcakes. He played with my eyelashes the whole time.

I told him to get one book and we'd read then sing whatever songs he wanted. He got three books. I gave in. We read Bible Heroes and he called every woman 'Mary.' (They do all have on those same light blue hoods over their heads. Who can blame him?) Then we read Rough and Tough Trucks and he named every capital letter in the whole book. Then we read Baby Animals and talked about soft and rough textures.

After our three books, he said he wanted to "talk some more." I told him we were having Pillow Talk, which reminded him that he'd rather have a pillow fight. Hee. I suggested that we do that tomorrow with Elijah. (I'll regret that later.) So I asked him what songs he wanted to sing. We sang: The Gospel Song, Happy Birthday, This Little Light of Mine, Praise God, Nothing But the Blood, and Glory Be to the Father.

It's 7:58 p.m. and I'm just now starting on cleaning up. I'll make a dent in it, then Elijah and Nick will come home, and I'll talk with them about their time at Leadership. Then I'll try to finish it while I talk with Nick about the day.

When I get in bed close to midnight, as I fall asleep, I'll remember that it's all worth it.

How I treasure those sweet moments with my children!

No comments: