January 18, 2011

Missing Summertime

We are to enjoy every season of life.
And I know that really means "stages" of life.
But I know it also means to enjoy every day and the joys and trials that come.

I am trying really hard.
But I miss summertime.

As a mommy of three young children, and as a summer-lover,
mid-January is not my favorite time of the year.

I miss going to Snoballs. I miss bright, summer colors.
I miss puffy sleeves and summer dresses.
I miss swimsuits.
Not on me, on them!
I miss outside photo shoots.
Even when they turn out like this.
I miss being able to sit outside at Goodberry's without my teeth chattering.
I miss the boys' ugly sleeveless shirts.
I miss staying up 'late' to look for fireflies.
I miss wearing these shoes.
I miss the swimming pool.
Big time.
I miss going to the airport park.
And letting the kids go barefoot.
I miss squinting at the sun.
And of course I miss the beach.
That's what I miss the most.
I miss the smell of sunscreen.
And I miss sweaty hair that curls up.
And cute girly bubble suits.
But I don't miss lugging the infant carrier around.
I miss summer foods and fruits. Like watermelon.
We should have detected Emmaline's food obsession much earlier in her life.
I miss letting the boys go to the bathroom outside.
Tacky, I know. But so much easier.
I miss refereeing their sprinkler fights.
I miss the simple nature of summer clothes.
There's also much less laundry.
Except for the pool towels. Which smell like chlorine, and I love that smell.
I miss their sun-bleached hair.
I miss the slip n' slide.
I miss using their summer chairs.
And I miss seeing those thighs.
They're covered up all the time now.
I miss feeding the kids popsicles or italian ice for every dessert.
I miss having a backyard full of people.
I miss sweating.
If you were at Caitlin's wedding, you know we did a lot of that.
I do a lot of shivering right now.
I miss watching the boys explore outside.
And I really miss Crocs.
Tennis shoes and socks are for the birds!
Not to mention that I have some adorable Crocs for Emmaline.
Until then, I will enjoy January.

After all, they won't look the way they do in these pictures when June rolls around.
Emmaline will be moving into a big girl bed.
Hudson will be gearing up for preschool.
And Elijah will be counting down the days until Kindergarten.
So, I'll enjoy their sweet little baby faces today.

8 comments:

Marty said...

Got big girl bedding picked out?

ashley said...

I loved this post! I miss summer too... but I know it will be here soon enough, and then i'll be complaining about the heat. ;)

Hilary said...

Amen, sista! I loved this post too. And if we could all look as good as you in a swimsuit...you should miss it on you too.

Aaron and Kristen said...

Allison, I LOVE this post :)

Amber said...

Loved the post! Ditto girl! DITTO..... especially the laundry!!

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.