November 27, 2011

Hudson at Four Years





Hudson is such a hoot. He's a really sharp cookie, but he's usually talking to himself, making funny noises, rhyming words and laughing, or doing a goofy dance.  He can fool us intoto thinking he's clueless on his own planet, but he doesn't miss a beat.  He goes 90 miles an hour until he crashes in his bed.  He's the first to wake up and the last to go to sleep.


He's always been very verbal, and he continues to say things that seem much older than his age.  He has learned many sight words along with Elijah, and can write almost all of the letters of the alphabet without much help.  He can count to 100, with a little help from Elijah when he forgets one.   He absolutely loves, loves, loves to color.  On the ride to Chattanooga, he literally colored with markers for 8 hours!  Even if a movie was playing, he still colored while he watched it.   He is in a phase where he colors the entire page in the coloring book the same color -- cracks me up. 


Hudson is pretty easy-going.  He can play with Emmaline and her dolls or he can run and climb trees with Elijah. He's flexible and not head strong.  He is very compassionate and gives compliments generously.   Like most younger siblings, he loves to be praised and always wants us to praise him if we are praising another child.   He was in a very whiney phase earlier (unlike Elijah's physical tantrums), but after persistent discipline, he seems to be coming out of that phase too, by God's grace. I loved Elijah's four year old year, and I can already tell that Hudson's will be a sweet, fun year too.  


He dropped his nap around the summertime, but still has rest time in the afternoon.  Sometimes he goes to sleep, while other times he will read or play with a basket of toys in his bed.  (Elijah would still take a nap every day if he were home!)  He wakes up first in the mornings, and of course wakes up Elijah.  He is also the last to go to sleep, even without a nap.  I am sure part of that is due to not having any soothing mechanism anymore.  He gave up thumb-sucking long ago and hasn't found anything to replace it, so when his little eyes open, his feet hit the floor.  Or actually, I should say that his mouth starts going.  


He is my child who says "MommyMommyMommyMommy" constantly while tapping me the whole time while I'm clearly doing 20 other things.   He is the epitome of this video.   Click here.


Hudson is very accident-prone and trips and falls as often as he breathes.  I love how he watches himself run sometimes, and he'll still pump that left arm every now and then like he used to do.   He still loves wearing a cape, and still wears his blanket as a cape on occasion.  He takes 30 hours to walk from the front door to get in his car seat - he comes out and stops to pick up a stick, goes back to hold the door open for me, goes to the car, asks me where some obscure toy is, opens up the console just for fun, picks up a CD and asks if it's scratched, talks and tickles Emmaline who has been waiting in her seat for 15 minutes, picks up his Sunday School papers from last week and tells me the story he learned, sits in Elijah's seat and says "Haha! Just kidding!" and then after the 100th time I've told him to get in his seat, he does.  


He still puts his shoes on the wrong feet.  It's kind of his trademark. 


When I pick him up from school, he's the kind of child who opens up his backpack and pulls out everything to show me as soon as he's buckled in.   His teachers say he is perfectly obedient, but I have a feeling he's going to be the kid who is super smart, but who doesn't keep his hands to himself and doesn't know how to stop talking.  He is probably never going to struggle academically a single day in school...as long as he listens to the directions.  I am really looking forward to the two-days-a-week that I will be homeschooling him in DC.  Never thought I'd say that, but I really think he's going to love it.  


Hudson is the shadow of his brother.  He wants to be with him, copies everything he does, and wants whatever he is eating.  I asked him if he was ready for lunch the other day and he said, "Yes, and I'll have what Elijah has."  But he's the one who keeps Elijah laughing.  He's the one who instigates and then they both crack up.   


He is always ready to go somewhere, and is not a homebody.  We've asked him if he wants to go to a certain place (we will name it), and he gets all excited and ready to go, then when we are in the car, he'll ask, "So where are we going?"  (Remind you of anyone, mom?)  


He still "rides" his big wheel like it's nobody's business.  He "rides" by standing on it, running beside it with one foot, then sitting on it.


His dance moves are absolutely hysterical.  When he wiggles his hips, it's the best thing ever.  


He's a great whistler.  He can whistle 'Jingle Bells' and random theme songs to TV shows.


He loves his college friends, and is always up for a wrestling match with the guys.  He plays so well with William Moore; I'm going to miss that little friendship they have.  

He's still not the best eater.  He's not picky or stubborn at all; he will try new foods and such.   He just doesn't eat much.  In fact, it's probably because he's talking and goofing off the whole time.  He is not a big breakfast fan, but neither is his daddy.


Hudson goes for his well check on Tuesday, and I'm sure we'll get our annual confirmation that we have a string bean!  He's such a joy; he is so perfect for our family.  We are so grateful that God chose to bless our family with Hudson Parker!

1 comment:

Marty said...

Love reading about this sweet boy!

PUHH-LEASE get his hip swinging on camera. I'm dying to see it!

Oh, how we love to play with Hudson!