If you know Elijah... actually, even if you've never met Elijah but you've read this blog, you know he does not like being the center of attention. He has recently started to articulate those reservations, and will say things like, "I don't want everyone to look at me" or "Can we walk in first and sit in the front so no one will watch me?"
We've never described Elijah as "shy" or "reserved" (especially in front of him), and I'm not convinced that he's really shy anyway. But I do know he doesn't like attention, and that's ok. In fact, it can turn out to be a very good thing.
Anyway, I've seen two signs of his growth and maturity and God's grace in this area lately. A few weeks ago, we went to his kindergarten orientation. On the way there, he said what I mentioned earlier about sitting in the front so his back would be to the rest of the auditorium. (It took me a minute to realize what he meant.) So I wondered how he would do. The kids all got colored stickers and at one point, they were asked to leave their parents' seats and follow a teacher out of the auditorium with the corresponding color on their flag. He got right up, didn't say goodbye, and followed the teacher to a classroom in a school he had never visited before. I was so amazed and proud of him. He had a blast in the classroom and told us a lot of fun details, including, "My teacher had a funny name. It was Mrs. Hudson!" And, "I think she said a bad word. She was reading a story about a boy who forgot his UNDERWEAR on the first day of school."
Yesterday, I went to his preschool to take some cookies someone ordered, and his teacher told me this story. They were in chapel for the last time, and she asked the children to say something nice to Mrs. Patty to thank her for volunteering to teach them in chapel. There were two classes in there, so there were about 32 students in the worship center. No one said anything, and there was a long pause. Elijah rose his hand and in front of everyone, he simply said, "Mrs. Patty, thank you for teaching us about Jesus." He was the only one who said anything.
I'm so thankful for the way Nick has taught our children to say encouraging words to each other and to others. It really comes out in other areas of their lives; not just in silly ways around the dinner table.
Preschool has been so good for him. I am so thankful for the scholarship we've received from the school and that he's been able to go. God has matured Elijah tremendously in this particular area through the gift of preschool, and as he finishes his time there this coming week, we will be praising God for giving him that opportunity.
4 comments:
You got away with it a lot longer than I did...way to go, mama!
WOW..E is becoming a little man! Sooo sweet.
Loved this post! Camden and Elijah sound very similar. I betcha Elijah will flourish even more in Kindergarten! I can't wait to hear what you thought about orientation - we'll have to chat about it on Monday night! :)
Your first child reminds me of my first child. It's so beautiful to watch them grow through their strengths and weaknesses.
Post a Comment